We’ve decided to start a tradition in the M household of yummy Sunday morning breakfasts. Both Papa M and I are creatures of habit, usually making the same thing for days on end for breakfast – at the moment, I’ve been working my way through a large pack of weetbix so it has been weetbix all day, every day! Papa M was going on a big hike with Brother M and MaC today so I decided to make him a hearty breakfast that would give him loads of energy for the 19k walk (!) he was going to do.
Those of you who know us well will know that Papa M is a spicy food fiend – the hotter the better. You’ll also know that I don’t eat egg. From what I am told, I make a pretty mean scrambled egg; I’m taking others’ word for it as I haven’t tasted it myself! I decided to whip up my own version of huevos rancheros, Mexican-inspired eggy breakfast, that would give Papa M the energy he needed to get through the day. I had a tropical fruit salad I threw together, delicious but nowhere near as exciting!
For one serve you’ll need:
- 1/2 can refried beans with chili sauce (I used Old El Paso)
- the equivalent of one jalapeño (I used Old El Paso Jalapeño that come in a glass jar)
- 2 eggs
- a dash of milk
- Tomato Salsa flavoured corn chips
- avocado, guacamole, sour cream to taste
- Place the refried beans in a saucepan and start warming them up over a low heat – because I wanted a really hearty breakfast I used the whole can, but for a regular breakfast you would only need half a can. They will look very solid and gluggy at first but will sink into a smooth consistency as you heat
- Grab your jalapeño and dice it into small chunks – place to the side
- Crack two eggs into a bowl and beat together with a dash of milk
- Grease your frying pan and get it nice and piping hot on the stovetop
- Throw your jalapeño into the egg mix and give it a quick mix before throwing it into the frying pan – proceed to cook how you would usually cook scrambled eggs
- Get 4-5 corn chips and place on chopping board, covering with paper towel. Use meat tenderizer, rolling pin or hand to crush these coarsely
- It’s time to layer it up! Piping hot refried beans on the bottom, jalapeño scrambled eggs in the middle, your tomato salsa corn chip crumb and then avocado, guacamole or sour cream on top to complete! Serve to your loved one!
It’s not the world’s most attractive breakfast, but it packs a powerful punch of energy and taste! Does this tickle your fancy or do you think that a spicy breakfast sounds horrifying? Is anyone out there a non-egg eater like me?