I completed this review last year on my old blog – it’s interesting to see how much some of the answers have changed in a year!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Get married, try acupuncture, go off-roading down a beach, buy international air tickets, use a travel agent.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t really set resolutions at the beginning of this year… something in me must have known that this year was going to be challenging – my main resolution was to survive the year with my sanity intact, not back at my starting weight! My word for the year was balance and I think I managed it most of the year!
I plan on picking another word for the year next year and having intentions that stem off that word.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, baby BOOM! One friend at the start of the year and three friends in the October/November period. Baby-palooza over here!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my mum. Sometimes it still seems surreal that she is not here.
5. What countries did you visit?
None! Hoping to make up for it next year with two short international trips to Samoa and Australia.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More time to relax, followed by greater disposable income!
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
01/06/2012 – the day we got married
31/07/2012 – the day that mum passed away
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving? Nah, probably pulling off one helluva great wedding, under budget too *pats self on back*
9. What was your biggest failure?
Honestly? I feel like it was work. I don’t feel like I was as good a teacher this year as I have been in previous years. I don’t know whether that’s necessarily a bad thing though, it was just a year where I had to be focusing on my personal and family life a lot more.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No major injuries, but I did get tonsillitis twice! Having not had it since I was about five years old, I can definitely say that I wasn’t a fan!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Yeesh! I bought many awesome things this year, but discounting clothing and wedding purchase, this would have to go to the most expensive single purchase this year – my new car! It’s amazing how great it feels to have a reliable vehicle!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
The people of Christchurch – I was amazed to see how quickly everyone has pulled together and made the most of some rather wretched circumstances!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Some of my students – it’s a sad fact of life that some parents these days just do not see the value in teaching their children common manners. It’s actually mildly horrifying to see the lack of respect some kids have for authority.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Wedding, car purchase, honeymoon – it’s been a spendy year for us!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting married! Right now, I’m getting super-excited about Christmas and our honeymoon; roll on days in the tropics!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
“You’re my best friend” by Queen.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder?
Happier, apart from when I get sad about my mum.
b) Thinner or fatter?
Fatter, but not by much! I’m not too upset about that, happy that I managed not to eat my negative feelings this year.
c) Richer or poorer?
Poorer, but we have an awesome wedding day, tickets for a honeymoon and a new car to show for it!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Honestly? Work. I let it consume far too much of my time this year – I definitely did not make efficient use of time and somehow took more time to do less. Hopefully careful planning next year will avoid that.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas prep at my Dad’s on Christmas Eve; midnight mass at the church we were married in; bacon sandwich breakfast, stockings and Christmas lunch with my immediate family and then Christmas dinner with Papa M’s family. If we are heavily pregnant or have a little one next year, everyone will have to come to us for Christmas so it’s worth the running around this year 😀
Boxing Day will be the usual extended family and hangers-on tradition!
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Fell deeper in love, as I hope to be doing each year for the rest of my life.
22. What was your favourite TV programme?
“One Born Every Minute” – Papa M liked to call this my shriek of the week!
23. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn’t dislike this time last year?
Yes, unfortunately – let’s just say that there are a couple of people who I felt the need to distance myself from. Friendship has to be a two-way street.
24. What was the best book you read?
It’s a hard choice but I think I’ll have to give this one to “Divergent” by Veronica Roth. I did read a lot of fabulous books this year!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Late to the party, but Ed Sheeran!
26. What did you want and get?
A new car! And special times with family.
27. What did you want and not get?
A less ostentatious wedding band I can wear when I don’t want to wear the full set of my wedding and engagement ring. We have plans for this in future though!
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Worked, and I turned 27. When you are a teacher, you don’t get your birthday off work. Papa M and I held a joint birthday party at an Italian restaurant – it was a lot of fun!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having the drama with the travel agents and the travel insurance company when we needed to reschedule our honeymoon. It kind of took the gloss off the whole thing and it’s taken us a while to get excited about it again
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Classic yet bright! Definitely more feminine than in previous years!
32. What kept you sane?
My husband, a couple of my work colleagues, moving house away from our abusive neighbours and hot chocolates!
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Same as last year – I don’t do wild celebrity crushes but I’ll post the attraction that makes Papa M laugh the most – Patrick Stewart. I could listen to that man talk for hours!
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Government trying to convince the public that students learn better in larger classes. Cough cough *rubbish* cough.
35. Who did you miss?
My mum, obviously, from August onwards.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My work colleague, JeN. Talk about a sanity saver!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012
Work smarter, not harder.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
“I’m happy at home, you’re my best friend”