Just a sample of the fab food we had at Masu!
On September 1st, I decided to set goals to be achieved by my 30th birthday on the 1st of March this year. Despite some major changes in our lives I think that I actually managed to do fairly well – here’s the breakdown:
Work a polling booth for Election Day – this goal has already required some preplanning (applying for and accepting position) but I’m pleased to tick it off my nerdy bucket listCompleted 20/9/14 Wean CJ out of a swaddle – I know, funny goal, but it seems like a mountain of a challenge at the moment!Completed – he just decided to do it all by himself
- Guest-post on 10 different blogs. Half there No. 1, No. 2, No. 3
Find two new networking groups.Completed Give cloth diapering a good try – summer will probably be ideal for this given it will increase our washing load!Completed – part of our regular routine now! Support NZ businesses (where possible) for upcoming gift occasionsCompleted
- Declutter and sell a whole bunch of items – our house is very little and a lot of stuff lives in the garage that we never use. Flick it on, I say! Half there – we did manage to get a lot of this done prior to our unexpected move (would never have picked it when I constructed our list) but there is definitely more that can be done!
- Plan a family tropical holiday for August 2015 (we’re thinking Rarotonga!) Half there – we’ve decided for sure on Rarotonga and we’re just socking away money and waiting for a great deal.
- Meet with a mortgage broker – we keep putting this off but we really need to find out where we need to be so that we have a goal to work towards Fail – started down the road with this but then with our unexpected move that’s been put on the back burner. Lots of background plotting going on though!
Find an AWESOME at-home child care person for CJ to start with in February next year (eeee!)Completed – we have such a great carer!
- Get our wills sorted – how boring and adult, but necessary Fail – need to get on this!
- Take a dance class – not fussed as to what, just need to get my body moving Changed my mind – with limited time I’ve gone back to aqua-exercise (aerobics, jogging, swim) as it has worked for me in the past
Find six new recipes to add to the usual menu of meals in this houseCompleted! One of the best things about having my dad live with us part-time is that I can cook larger family meals! Find a swim outfit that makes me feel confident at the pool/beach/wherever. I don’t need to have a son growing up with a mum constantly trying to hide her bodyCompleted – I underestimated how difficult it would be to find boardies in a length between bootie shorts and bloomers! On this note – get to the beach this summer! I was so sore and whale-like last summer, I did not enjoy myself at all. I want a real summer this time, with my big and little adventure buddies. Completed – and we are still having ridiculously warm beautiful days so there may even be some more beach days yet!
- Own a pair of Toms Not yet
- Get a proper pair of cross-trainers after getting a stride analysis Not yet
Eat waffles at Ben Gusto HowickCompleted 5/10/14
at everything (haha) at MasuCompleted – so good!
- Take Papa M to Tanuki’s Cave Not yet
Have Giapo ice-cream again – it’s been FAR too longCompleted 20/11/14 Take CJ to the zoo for the first timeCompleted 29/12/14
- Have a family day-trip to Waiheke Island Not yet, although there’s a high probability of a day trip over Easter.
- Get down to my wedding weight – this is still a good 15 kg above my goal weight but a realistic goal in the next six months Literal big fat fail – this definitely needs more work!
Have a 24-hour girlie getaway as a trial run before my trip to Perth – more a trial run for Papa MCompleted 17/1/15 Have family portrait taken in the weeks leading up to CJ’s first birthdayHad a non-professional one taken on this birthday – I’ll take it as a pass!
- Finish writing my novel and grow the metaphorical testes to try and get it published In Progress – I had hoped to be further down the track with this but moving and workload have conspired against me. I am loving that extra cash-flow though!
- Try a flotation tank Not yet and I still REALLY want to!
Throw a kick-ass first birthday for CJCompleted – it was such a fun day! Book a delicious weekend getaway at The Langham for my 30th!Completed and it was a fantastic weekend!
So that’s over half completed and only seven that were complete fails – or a failure rate of 23%. That’s a rate I’m willing to accept given the changes (my slow reentry into the work force, our moving houses and towns) that I couldn’t have forseen when creating these goals in September last year. I’m definitely looking forward to fulfilling some of my more materialistic goals now that I’m contributing to our family funds, something that I really felt that I couldn’t justify before. It is hard though, since becoming a mum I want to spend our money on things that will benefit our whole family and it is difficult to be selfish – do other mummies feel the same?